Supporting Women and Culture with Fair-Trade Argan Oil
Is there anything more gratifying than enjoying a high-end, extremely beneficial product that simultaneously creates a positive impact on the world? The way we work, and the manner in which we produce our products, is such that we have achieved a way to:
- Produce the finest fair trade Argan Oil in the world
- Boost the lives of the women who work with us in Morocco
- Support a safe and sustainable community that promotes equality, achievement and self-worth
- Offer our fair trade Argan Oil to the worldwide market in a way that would not be possible without today’s reach of technology
Moroccan Elixir is about our fair trade Argan Oil, but we are also about much more than that in that we do not compromise our standards when it comes to the quality of the ingredients we use for our products or the ways in which we obtain them. As you’ll see below, when we buy Argan Oil from Morocco, specifically from the cooperative that we work with, we make a difference in their lives and in the entire region.
When you work with us to apply real Argan Oil to your skin and hair, you’re doing the same thing every time you make a purchase. Not only are you making a positive impact on the world as a whole when you do this, but you’re still getting fair trade Argan Oil that will make a tangible difference in how you look and how you feel. Please read on below to find out specifically what we’re about and what you can become a part of if you choose Moroccan Elixir for your fair trade Argan Oil beauty products.
Supporting Moroccan Women
Preserving Traditional Culture
The popularity of Argan Oil has grown beyond the borders of Morocco into the kitchens and beauty products of Europe, America, Canada and beyond. The wonders of the Liquid Gold from Morocco speak for itself. Due to its rising popularity, the demand for Argan Oil has increased into a viable economy for the local village people of the Moroccan southwest.
For Centuries, Argan Oil has been made only by Berber women. Today the Argan Oil production is done primarily in numerous Women’s Co-Operatives in the southwest region of Morocco. The Co-Operatives employ Women that may be widowed or divorced and still have family responsibilities. The Co-Operatives offer the Women fair wage and hours that are suitable to meeting the needs of their family and children. Many of the Co-Operatives offer educational and childcare benefits. Some offer them a place to live. The Women enjoy the work with each other laughing and telling stories as they carry on with the difficult labor.
Visiting an Argan Co-Operative is a must do on any visit to Morocco.
What is the Difference between Moroccan Oil and Argan Oil?
We often get the asked if Moroccan Oil and Argan Oil are the same thing….
Moroccan oil and pure Argan oil are both derived from the Argan tree, native to Morocco, but they differ in several key aspects. Moroccan oil is typically a commercially produced hair and skincare product that often contains a blend of ingredients, including Argan oil. It is formulated to address specific beauty needs and may include added fragrances, silicones, and other additives. In contrast, pure Argan oil is a natural, unadulterated oil extracted directly from the Argan tree's nuts. It is renowned for its versatility and rich nutrient content, including essential fatty acids and antioxidants. Pure Argan oil is prized for its ability to nourish and moisturize the skin, condition hair, and even promote nail health, making it a preferred choice for those seeking a more organic and multipurpose beauty solution. While Moroccan oil may offer convenience and specific formulations for different beauty concerns, pure Argan oil is celebrated for its simplicity and purity.
Moroccan Elixir sources its Argan Oil from The Marjana Co-Operative Project near Essaouira. It is a Co-Operative that owned by more than 80 women. The Marjana Co-Operative employs only the Traditional Methods of Argan oil and uses no machinery. The Co-Operative is in the middle of a forest of Argan and Thuja trees. If you visit Morocco, you may stop at the Co-Operative on the road between Marrakesh and Essaouira. Here you will get a glimpse into the traditional life of Berber women. The Women are joyful and determined to present quality products for the opportunities they have been given.
ARGAN OIL CO-OPERATIVES
- Started in the 1990’s as a way to preserve the tradition, culture and sustainability of the industry
- Fair trade industry in which the producers get a fair financial benefit and are able to preserve the culture, tradition and sustainability of the Argan Trees and the Argan Oil.
- Women from the villages are employed on a full time and part time basis
- Enables Women to support their children and families
- The Women’s Co-Operatives are encouraged and supported to plant and cultivate the Argan trees
- Help to raise awareness of the Argan Trees and it’s issues related to deforestation.
- The Women are able to share their Ancient Knowledge and Wisdom of the Traditional Methods of Production and Cultivation
- Women own shares in the Co-Operatives and share the benefits with the community
- Helps the community to flourish and thrive.
- Co-Operatives are being challenged by the high demand of the oil from the US and European markets.
- Also challenged by the chemical and industrial production companies that are mass-producing the oil. It is hard to compete with this for the large market.
Marjana Argan Women's Co-Operative
- Began in 2005 and is a very successful co-operative
- Owned by 85 or more women
- Women range from 20-85 years old. A 100+ year old women still owns shares and just stopped working
- Employs 15 younger women to run the sales and store.
- Women all own shares in the company and profits
- Traditional methods of production employed and use some light machines for some steps if it is better
- Produces their own cosmetic and culinary products that are used throughout Morocco
- Exports oils to US and Europe
This is where Moroccan Elixir gets their Argan Oil
- Located on the road from Marrakesh to Essaouirra in a Berber village known as Ait Chriabi
- Frequented by many tourists and travellers heading to the coast from Marrakesh to Essaouira.
- The Co-Operative donates money, books and other supplies to 2 local schools
- The Women live in the surrounding villages and many come miles to work daily
- They have used the money to help their families, send children and grandchildren to schools, and support other local small businesses.
Moroccan Elixir sources Argan and Prickly Pear seed Oil directly from The Marjana Women’s Co- Operative in Morocco, in which the Traditional Production Methods are still employed. The Traditional Production methods ensure that the oils are processed with the essential nutrients intact. While these methods produce the highest quality products, they also empower the independence of the local women and their communities.
This is how the ethos behind Moroccan Elixir was formed…
Providing the highest quality Beauty Ingredients for YOU,
while preserving the integrity of this time-honored method.
Moroccan Elixir is Beauty Beyond Borders.
Now you know the reason that Moroccan Elixir's Argan and Prickly Pear Oil are so different and superior...We source directly from the Women's Hands that make the Precious and Revered Oils. You can see for yourself and enjoy the amazing quality of our Oils and at the same time, you will be supporting local Moroccan Village Women to thrive and be independent.